United World College International would like to extend their condolences to Giulio Regeni’s family, friends and all those that were touched by him in the UWC community and beyond.
In 2005 Giulio Regeni obtained a scholarship from the Friuli Venezia Giulia Italian regional government which enabled him to attend the UWC-USA in New Mexico. This experience inspired him to pursue his university education in England, where he was studying for a PhD at Cambridge University in the Department of Politics and International Studies.
We are calling on Egyptian authorities to do everything in their power to bring to light the circumstances of his murder.
With UWC Adriatic, UWC-USA and the entire UWC community, we mourn the loss of a young man who was following his dreams and the mission of UWC.
Please take the time to read up on the situation and see whether you are able to take any of the following actions:
1. A letter has been signed by over 4600 academics worldwide requesting an investigation into what has happened and the freedom of academic research: click here.
2. There is an online petition to the UK government for a full investigation (it can only be signed by UK nationals and residents): click here.
3. There is another petition on change.org: click here.
4. The BBC has been reporting on the issue: click here.
5. The Egyptian national committee has also written a response: click here.
Further information can be found on the UWC Adriatic site.
See more at here.